The MdSC School Board is lucky to have a number of great Tubac citizens volunteering to help run the business of the school, along with assisting in the ongoing development of Montessori de Santa Cruz. Many hours are dedicated all year long, in which incredible work is happening between the board and administrators to execute the vision of the school.
Our board members had an opportunity to be interviewed this year by our local newspaper, The Villager. The purpose of the article written by our very own school parent, Madeline Acorta was to get to know the members of the MdSC school board, and find out more about what makes them volunteer their service.
Madeline asked asked Board members to answer the following questions:
2. I bring good communication and business skills to the MdSC School Board, as well as many community ties and lots of experience from being on many different boards.
3. I am motivated to give families a choice to provide an education that can give their children the best skills for learning, communication and empowerment, in order to succeed and become great global citizens.
I believe that a community without a school is not a complete community. So many parents, donors, volunteers and school board members have given thousands of hours to keep this great school in Tubac. We need all the support we can get, and I welcome all of our local citizens to get involved and do what they can to support the wonderful kids and their families at our Montessori de Santa Cruz Charter School. email@example.com (520)-398-3313
2. The main skills I bring to the school are loyalty and commitment. I never thought 16 years ago that I would still be on the school Board, but here I am. Through highs and lows, Todd and I have coaxed the school along because we believe in the outcomes. My two children are graduating from college and I attribute their ability to successfully navigate a complicated world to having learned the “Montessori way” at Montessori de Santa Cruz. It feels good to be a part of giving that opportunity to others.
3. One of the great joys of being on the school Board is being able to watch the children grow and flourish. When they graduate from the school, I know that they have gained Emotional IQ as well as Academic IQ, which will give them an advantage in life. They are all making a positive difference in the world, wherever they are.
The highlight of my week is when I help with the Organic Gardening class. The dialogue with the students and working with the plants is wonderful. I have the opportunity to get to know so many dynamic young people as they come to play and learn in the dirt, week after week, year after year.
Our exceptional Board, Staff, and Parents are another motivator to show up and help where I can. I am thrilled with how the school is moving forward in such a positive way, and I look forward to many more years of shared experiences. firstname.lastname@example.org
2. I am an attorney with more than 40 years of experience in business law, litigation and transactions, and am a member of the Construction Law Forum of the American Bar Association. I have served as the Chief Financial Officer of a publicly owned, technology driven, market research firm and know accounting principles and systems. I spent 12 years as an entrepreneur owning several companies providing commercial construction and project management services to large national retailers. Recently, I have been trained as a Mediator by the American Arbitration Association.
3. Little is more important to the long term success of our society than quality education for our young people. Every opportunity I had as an adult was a result of a quality education. I want to help and encourage our young people in this most important endeavor. I think it is essential for young people to succeed in today’s complex and fast changing world to gain the skills necessary to allow learning to be a lifetime experience. Memorizing and “parroting” back current information is not the education they need. They need practice in problem solving, research and communication (both written and oral), to deal with ever changing challenges and opportunities. email@example.com
2. I bring years of experience in serving on boards in the Seattle area such as Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, Kirkland Performance Center and Standing Ovation. My skills include an entrepreneurial business background as the founder of 2 companies – Marathon Press & Marathon Health and Wellness. Both companies taught me perseverance & patience including the ability to ask questions when needed to move projects forward. I am skilled in all aspects of Marketing & Sales, as well as making connections with like-minded people.
3. I want to help people, serve my community & make a difference in people’s lives. I love kids, teaching them life skills & where their food comes from, which ties into my passion for gardening. firstname.lastname@example.org
2. I bring years of leadership, relationship building, and business skills to support the growth and success of the students of Montessori de Santa Cruz.
3. I joined the Montessori Board because I believe that our success as a country depends on our children and their ability to think and create beyond what traditional schools offer today. email@example.com
2. I bring strong communication skills to the MdSC School Board. I am a good relationship builder, problem solver and leader.
3. My wife and I are very committed to doing all that we can to support MdSC, and to make sure that both of our children are thriving, along with all of the other great kids at the school. We love our community and the school, and believe that with good participation from parents and local citizens, Montessori de Santa Cruz will create excellent members of society – people we will all be proud to say came from Tubac and the surrounding areas.
Montessori de Santa Cruz is a non-profit 501c3 free public charter school and tuition-based preschool serving the Santa Cruz Valley area. For 16 years MdSC has served our children with continuous and generous community support from fundraisers, events, donations and grant awards. For more information on how to enroll your child, participate in events or opportunities to give or volunteer, please contact the office at 520-398-0536 or firstname.lastname@example.org. email@example.com